Llewellyn Xavier (St. Lucian Artist)
Llewellyn Xavier is one of Saint Lucia’s premier artists. Born in 1945 in Saint Lucia, Xavier left as a young man to Barbados as an agricultural apprentice. It was there a friend gave him some watercolour paints and immediately his talent became apparent.
In 1968 Xavier went to England to further his art career. In 1979, he enrolled in the School of the Museum of Fine Art in Boston. He married and returned to Saint Lucia in 1987. In 2004, Xavier received the Order of the British Empire (OBE), in recognition of his contribution to art.
Xavier’s work features the natural beauty of the Caribbean and his deep concern for environmental preservation.
Xavier has exhibited at some of the finest art institutions internationally. His work is in the permanent collections of many prominent museums, including:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York
- American Museum of Natural History in New York
- The Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC
- Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto
- Oxford University in England
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery in England
- National Gallery of Jamaica